Please remember that the D.C.O. cannot do anything about cats. The law prohibits the dog control officer from picking up stray cats or anything else that is NOT a dog.
All dogs in New York State MUST be licensed by the age of 4 months and older. It doesn't matter if they are confined to the house or not, ALL dogs must be licensed in accordance to NYS Ag & Markets Law Article 7.
Dog License Fees are as follows:
Spayed/Neutered $ 6.00
In order to get a dog license, you must have a current rabies certificate. The Town Clerk will issue a license with a current rabies certificate.
All dogs that are redeemed from the kennel, must have proof of license before the dog is allowed to leave the kennel.
The Town of Palermo Dog Control Officer has a CHIP reader to scan for microchips. If you have found a dog and would like to see if it has a chip, please contact us and we will be happy to scan the dog for you.
If you have FOUND or LOST a dog please CONTACT the DCO IMEADIATELY, this will insure a quick return home 315-402-9109
If you suspect Animal Cruelty (mistreatment, abandonment, no housing, no food, no water, etc.) please contact 911 and ask for a State Trooper to investigate. We as Dog Control Officers by law cannot do anything with Animal Cruelty. Animal Cruelty falls under Article 28 under the Ag and Markets Law and we only deal with Article 7 of the Ag and Markets Law and Town Law.
Important Phone #'s:
Oswego County Heatlh Dept. Rabies - 315-349-3564
Need help to get your dog spayed or neutered??
Program Procedure for Animals Owned by People on Public Assistance
To be eligible to receive a low-cost spay or neuter surgery for your dog or cat, the following requirements must be met:
- The owner shall be a resident of New York State and
- The owner shall submit proof to a veterinarian participating in the program in the form of an adoption agreement that their dog or cat was adopted from a pound, shelter, duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, humane society or dog or cat protective association within New York State or
- The owner shall provide proof of their participation in at least one of the following:
1. The federal Food Stamp program;
2. The federal Supplemental Security Income for the Aged, Blind and Disabled program;
3. The federal Low Income Housing Assistance program;
4. The State Family Assistance Program;
5. The State Safety Net Assistance Program;
6. The State Program of Medical Assistance;
7. The State Food Assistance Program.
For those don't qualify for above can purchase a voucher to cut cost through Friends of Animals:
Below is the list of FoA participating veterinarians in your area. Before
ordering the certificate you must contact the veterinarian to confirm the
veterinarian's participation and ask about any additional charges. Print out
a copy of this email for your records. See link at the bottom of this page
for further instructions.